Gown So Green, The
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Gown So Green
composite version from the Brazil Family (Danny, Harry, Alice), as printed in sleevenotes to MTCD345-7 The Brazil Family: Down by the Old Riverside
- Now abroad as I was walking, all on the King's highway,
I been weary of my travelling of many of long day;
I met a lovely woman with a babe all in her arms,
She kissed the babe and said she wished its father would return.
- "Now good evening lovely woman, for I longed to meet you here,
With that pretty babe all in your arms you seem to love so dear;
I think I knows its father and you before I've seen,
Don't you remember the day my love, when you wore your gown so green?"
- Now her arms she placeted round him and fainted away.
"Is it you my lovely Henery 'turned home to me again;
Long time I've been lamenting, but now I'll make revoe
Not a peace nor comfort have I had since from me you've been gone?"
- "Now I've lost one limb in battle, love, and that you plain can see,
A-saving a bold commander's life, it proved the prince of me; (made the better of me)
I'm left a noble pension, both silver an gold in store,
An I means to make you my lawful bride and go abroad no more."
- Now let's you and I take a licence love out on this very day,
Let's you an I get married love 'thout any more delay;
With your sweet prattling baby more pleasure you will see,
You'll never no more repent the day when you wore your gown so green.