Jump to navigation Jump to search
Frederick Charles Jordan, farm worker and singer; born Ludlow, Shropshire 16 October 1922; died Ditton Priors, Shropshire 30 July 2002.
- The late Fred Jordan must be one of the best-known English country singers today. He was ‘discovered’ by the BBC in 1952 and, for the rest of his life, he continued to delight audiences throughout the length and breadth of the country. I first recorded Fred at his home in 1965. Some of these recordings, together with many others, have been lovingly assembled by John Howson who has issued them on a superb double CD A Shropshire Lad (Veteran VTD148CD).
- Part of the booklet notes, written by Mike Yates, to the Musical Traditions Records CDs The Birds Upon the Tree (MTCD333)
- Songs of a Shropshire Farm Worker, Topic LP 12T150, 1966
- When the Frost is on the Pumpkin, Topic LP 12TS233, 1974
- In Course of Time, EFDSS cassette, VWML 006, 1991
- A Shropshire Lad, Veteran CD VTD148CD
- Mike Yates, In the Land of Lost Content: Some reflections on the singer Fred Jordan, Musical Traditions Article MT250, June 2010, http://www.mustrad.org.uk/articles/f_jordan.htm