May superstitions and sayings include "Marry in May, rue the Day" and "Mist in May, Heat in June Makes harvest come right soon."
1st - 3rd May - Minehead Somerset The Sailor's Horse in Dunster at dawn and Minehead in the evenings.
May Day - Cambridge Cambridgeshire - May Garland procession.
First Saturday in May - Knutsford, Cheshire - Sanding and Royal May Day
May Day Holiday
- Ickwell May Day - Ickwell Green, Bedfordshire
- Chimney Sweep's Festival & Jack-in-the-Green - Rochester, Kent
- Green Man & Morris - Hastings, Sussex
- Jack-in-the-Green procession & Morris - Whitstable, Kent
- Black Prince Flower Boat - Rane Peninsula, Cornwall
8th May - Helston Furry Dance, Helston, Cornwall
Second Saturday in May - May Queen & Maypole Dancing, Hayes Common, Kent
This falls on the 40th day after Easter Sunday.
Ascension Day marks the day when Jesus Christ ascended up into Heaven. It was 40 days after his resurrection from the dead, which was on Easter Sunday.
On this day, in Whitby, North Yorkshire, the Hutton family erect The Penny Hedge on the foreshore in the harbour.
Hunting of the Earl of Rone Weekend including the last Monday in May
Oak Apple Day - 29th May
Back to Customs